Wearing sunglasses while driving is legal in the UK, but there are some restrictions on the type of sunglasses that you can wear. In this brief post we will cover the main points of the law when it comes to driving sunglasses.
Sunglasses must meet the following criteria in order to be legal for driving:
- They must have a CE mark, which indicates that they meet European safety standards.
- They must have a light transmission of at least 75%. This means that at least 75% of the light must be able to pass through the lenses.
- They must not be yellow tinted. Yellow tinted lenses can make it difficult to see traffic lights and other road signs.
If you wear sunglasses that do not meet these criteria, you could be fined up to £500. You could also be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention, which carries a maximum penalty of £5,000 and nine points on your driving licence.
In addition to the legal requirements, there are also some practical considerations to keep in mind when choosing sunglasses for driving. Sunglasses should fit snugly over your eyes to prevent them from slipping down and obstructing your vision. They should also have side shields to protect your peripheral vision from glare.
Choosing Driving Sunglasses
If you are looking for a pair of sunglasses that are both stylish and safe for driving, you should look for a pair that meets the above criteria and has polarized lenses. Polarized lenses reduce glare from the sun, which can make it easier to see the road and other traffic.
Here are some tips for choosing driving sunglasses:
- Choose a pair of sunglasses that have a light transmission of at least 75%.
- Avoid yellow tinted lenses.
- Choose a pair of sunglasses that fit snugly over your eyes and have side shields.
- Select a pair of sunglasses which have polarized lenses..
By following these tips, you can choose a pair of driving sunglasses that will keep you safe and comfortable on the road.
Our Top 5 Picks
Day Night Driving Glasses- Anti-Glare Night Vision Glasses Men Women Polarized Sunglasses Night Sight Glasses for Fishing Driving Filter Dazzling Glare from Headlights, Ultra Light Metal Frame
ATTCL Men's Night Driving Glasses Ultralight Al-Mg Metal Frame Sunglasses 16560 yeshi
YIMI Polarized Photochromic Outdoor Sports Sunglasses for Men and Women Anti Glare UV400 Protection for Day and Night Driving Cycling Ski Golf Running Cycling Fishing
ATTCL Night Driving Glasses Sunglasses for Men Al-Mg Metal Frame Ultra Light night vision 8585
ATTCL Mens Sunglasses Polarised UV400 Protection Lightweight Stainless Steel Rectangular Frame (black-(night driving glasses))
This is just a small selection, you can view more Here.
- The Highway Code rule 237 states that you must slow down or stop if you are dazzled by bright sunlight.
- The police can stop you if they believe that your sunglasses are not safe for driving.
- You can find more information about driving sunglasses on the websites of the AA, the RAC, and Specsavers.